Life with a camera fanatic/adventure sports junkie and one lovable pup




Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Home ownership fail #99

Last January I hiked with my cousins up to High Hut in the Tahoma Trails system. It was maybe 3 or 4 miles up and ended with a magnificent view of the cabin looking out over Mt. Rainier and a 360 degree view of the surrounding hills. This particular adventure involved hiking in all food and water needed, plus warm clothes to withstand the cold temps. Inside the cabin, a water filtering system had been rigged up that required melting snow on the wood stove to fill the water tub. Long story short, it was a fun time, snow shoeing and cousins and another outdoor adventure under our belts.

Fast forward 10 months to Seattle's pre-Thanksgiving cold blast, add an inexperienced home owner and a bum knee. Pretty sure that equals a recipe for disaster. Sure enough, went to bed last night under piles of blankets, all the heaters on (the functioning ones at least), thinking about how I had to get to my post-op appointment in Bellevue in the morning and work after that for several meetings. I woke up this morning, snow was still on the ground, even thicker than last night, and I was greeted with a very silent faucet in the bathroom. I had a sudden flash back to the first week in my house when the water was turned off because the previous owners hadn't paid their bill in a while. I went to check the kitchen faucet-nothing there either. Text to sister "How do I tell if my pipes are frozen or if the water's been turned off?" (Though really, the water was working last night, no one would come in the middle of the night or before 6:30am, right?)

And so, our snow day here at Chach Casa has been filled with frolicking puppies (ok, really just one old Dan the Man), chilly toes and melting snow on the stove for water. Oh yes, embracing my pioneer woman skills like no other.

At least I baked holiday cookies last night, right?
Buckets of snow waiting for their turn on the stove

Dan greeted the sunrise with a sprint across the front lawn.

Today, feeling thankful for:
  • A handy future-brother-in-law
  • Warm house
  • My snow-conquering Subaru
  • A relatively normal commute yesterday
  • My awesome physical therapist
  • Functioning water pipes

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Originally, from the photo, I thought you'd overdone it on the mashed potatoes. John says to be careful as those pipes thaw out because a leak or busted pipe is bound to happen. Call us if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought those were soap bubbles. You should come stay with us, we got an extra room and more importantly, a Kinect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumay-I'll take you up on that the next time I get stuck in Redmond! :)

    ReplyDelete