Ray Lamontagne on. Time for a little looking back...
Amazing what has happened over this past year, plus a few months. A year and one week ago, I was saying goodbye to some of the most amazing people I have ever met. Later that day-Chrysi, CW and I dropped our bags off with Dina at the Met and hopped on a bus, heading north, our own little pilgrimage to Meteora. We arrived in Kalambaka, soon found the Hotel Galaxy (!) and caught a taxi up to Great Meteora (the largest monastery) before it closed for the evening-it would be closed the following day as well. The next day we took another taxi up to the top and walked between the monasteries-so beautiful. We returned to Athens that night and spent the next few days between there and island hopping Spetses and Hydra.
![]() |
| Chapel on Spetses |
A year ago today (August 24, 2009) I was at the Athens Airport saying goodbye to Dina & CW (who were headed back to the states) and Chrysi (who was meeting up with her mom and sister to head to Egypt). I had decided not to stay in Greece for the remaining two weeks of my trip and had Steph book me a flight to Italy (thanks sis!). I'm not sure how I decided on Milan but that was where I headed. Before the flight even left the ground people began talking to me in Italian-I was still adjusting to Greek! Upon arrival at the Milan International Airport (drab depressing place), I sought out transportation and found a bus to Grand Central Station where I had booked a hostel (my first!) ahead of time. That bus ride was the first of several emotionally draining hours. All summer long I had been surrounded by a couple hundred (very campy) people, immersed in Greek culture and loving life. It was quite a culture shock to be out on my own, switching languages and navigating for myself. I quickly questioned my decision to head to another country on my own. Skipping ahead, I found my hostel which turned out to be a closet of a place-4 beds in one dark room with a desk attendant that hardly spoke English or Italian. Is this what all hostels are like? It also wasn't in the greatest part of town so I didn't want to wander much on my own as it quickly became dusk. I (unsuccessfully) decided to get some rest.
A fellow traveler came in, in the middle of the night and took the bed next to me. The next morning (Aug 25th) I learned he spoke English and I almost amazed myself at how fast I reached out to the common ground. His name was David from Liverpool. Done. New travel buddy? Yes please! We took the metro to downtown Milan, got some breakfast and wandered the streets. I was already on edge and the throngs of men attempting to "sell" you strings (bracelets) by the cathedral did not help my already negative opinion of the city. Yes, I fully accept that my opinion is altered because of the emotional state I was in while visiting that city but I am not a fan of Milan.
David had information on another hostel, a metro stop away, so we switched that afternoon and settled in for a little siesta. While resting I heard a group of travelers come in, speaking English, with an American accent (yes-it does exist)! The relief I felt upon that joyous sound was incredible. I had to figure out how to connect with them. David was great but I still felt off. After siesta, I tiptoed over to the other room and introduced myself. It was a group of 8 (5 girls, 3 guys) who were vet students in the Caribbean together, on a Eurotrip for their 3 week class break. My eagerness may have scared them a little at first but I cannot begin to express how much I appreciated them welcoming me into their group. They had already been to a few other countries and were going to spend the next few days venturing around Italy. Done! The next morning I said goodbye to David and we boarded the train to Florence...
My, what a year it has been :)
| Chrysi, CW & I at Meteora |
| The Vets in Venice. |

No comments:
Post a Comment