Friday June 25th: KEYS!!!! In one last hurrah for this house buying process to be a pain in my back side, there were a few last minute things that needed to be dealt with. Luckily everything went through and I received a call around 1pm saying the funding had gone through and we were just waiting for the numbers (change of ownership) to be recorded. After that all cleared I would meet my realtor to get the keys. Around 6pm we met at the house (my car packed with the first load to move-I've been waiting patiently, remember?) and I got the keys! Lorna walked me around the house letting me know that the new hot water heater hadn't been turned on yet and there was a leak under the sink. Lucky for me, my new brother (Adam) is best friends with a construction worker (Sean). Stephanie came right over and helped me start cleaning. Soon after that the boys came over and hung up the curtains in my living room. It quickly reached 10pm and seeing as how my bed was not moved yet and I was supposed to run a half marathon in the morning I didn't spend the night as I had originally planned. But as we have learned previously, plans fall through so go with the flow!
Saturday June 26th: Seattle Rock n Roll half marathon day! This would be exciting except that I got about 5 hours of sleep and didn't exactly train for the 13.1 mile run, oh well. Our corral had a 7:20am start time and after getting through the traffic and briskly walking from the car to the starting line we made it just in time. The race started in Tukwila. About 2 miles in it hit me how tired I was, especially my legs, not good. I was running with Michelle up to this point but I could see she was already getting in the groove and ready to step up the pace, we made plans to meet up at the end. I continued on, reminding myself that if I kept running it would end sooner, plus I usually have trouble getting going again if I stop. So onward it was. Luckily after about mile 4 I finally hit my stride and the view of running along Lake Washington helped too. Fast forward another 9.1 miles and I finished! Very slowly but at that point I didn't really care. Time to rehydrate and then packing! Back at home I packed up everything I could fit in my car then Stephanie and the boys came to load all the furniture up in a truck. Gotta love being related to strong guys who work for beer and mexican food.
Saturday evening while unpacking and taking account of the little things around the house that I needed to tackle, it suddenly hit me. I am a home owner. I am solely responsible for this house. I am in this. Alone. I tried to remind myself that I was exhausted physically and mentally with moving and running that morning. It will get better. I can. Do. This. Sometimes, even when the voice of reason is saying the right things, it is still hard to hear. Luckily my rock star support crew showed up at my door soon after with smiles, positive words and a ready appetite for champagne. After a ceremonial cork-popping in the backyard and full bubbly glasses, it was time to sit back and relax in my NEW HOME. Home. Finally.
"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." -Henry Miller
Half marathon medal!
No comments:
Post a Comment