Life with a camera fanatic/adventure sports junkie and one lovable pup




Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 5: Let's give 'em something to blog about

Thursday July 1st: Thursday started as another other normal day on the home front. Stephanie and I were carpooling to work with a "quick" stop to pick up my bikes in Newcastle on the way home. During lunch I called Seattle Public Utilities (SPU, not the university) and set up garbage/recycling/yard waste pickup-yay for being on top of something! After work, our detour took a little longer than planned and by the time we made it back to the West side, Stephanie and I were both ready for dinner. Sooo what do all young "Burienites" do in this situation? Taco Thursdays at Azteca of course! By the time I made it home a bit later, I was ready to go to bed and put off any house tasks until the morning. Getting ready for bed I noticed that my bathtub still hadn't drained from my morning shower; an on going issue with my current attempts to clear the drain failing. Awesome. Well, as I didn't have the energy to deal with it at 9:30 at night, it was teeth brushing time. I turned the cold water handle. Gurgle. Nothing. Trying again. Nothing. Whaaaat?! Kitchen. Turn. Nothing. Hot. Nothing. Cold. Nothing. WTF?! 


Dear house, I patiently awaited the ridiculous buying process you put me through. Memorized the number of the IRS as well as my mortgage woman. I figured, yes, owning and maintaining a home on my own will be work, but hey you've already put me through enough so maybe you'll go a little easier once I move in? (House just laughed in my face.)


After a call to my sister, "Why does God hate me?!" and instructions to call SPU in the morning, I decided it was officially time to sleep. Don't get me wrong, I can go without running water, I just usually prefer that time to be accompanied with a tent, campfire and s'mores. And I have this little problem where I HATE NOT WASHING MY HANDS. Ok, call me a little OCD, I'm just not a fan. 


So this morning, Friday, I called up SPU to get the rest of the utilities switched to my name. "Anything else we can help you with?" Umm, will my water be turned back on today? "Your water was turned off? Oh, says here the seller had an outstanding balance of $1,000.00. You'll want to call escrow and have them send a payment before two today or you won't get water till next Wednesday." (Budget cuts and holiday weekend) NEXT WEDNESDAY?! That's like 5 days away! Oh and I happen to have a friend visiting from out of town starting tomorrow. Sweet. 


Whelp, after a few more back and forth calls with escrow and the seller, the balance was paid and an inspector from the city scheduled for next week to check for a water leak on the property. Whew. All in a morning's work. Can't wait to see what the rest of the day will hold.


And what's a post without a picture:
Ios, Greece: Not quite house related but we could all use a little sun and beach on a rainy Seattle day.

1 comment:

  1. This situation is not going to help your personal hygiene habits. I kid, I kid. C'mon city of Seattle, do your jobs!

    ReplyDelete