Friday July 2nd: Just popping in for a quick update, as its sunny outside and I still have work to get through. The water's back on!!! Friday afternoon, Seattle Public Utilities came out and turned my water back on. Hallelujah! That night, after morning unpacking and cleaning, I headed to early Independence Day party at Chez Clemacharon-success!
Saturday July 3rd: Electrician fail. I made yet another trip to McLendon hardware and explained my dryer situation. I have a dryer-it has a 3 prong cord. My wall has a 4 prong outlet. They hooked me up with a new cord and quick instructions to switch it out, along with a foil vent tube. Can't be that hard, right? A few screws here, swap, and presto! Ummm not. After realizing that I was a wrench short of accomplishing this task Saturday morning, I thought "well I'll just make sure the plug fits the outlet." WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WAS A BAD IDEA?!?!!? Apparently that's a "big no-no" (as my godson would say) in the electrical department. I soon found out. Upon touching the cord to the outlet, there was a LOUD BANG and a huge flash of blue light. Followed by "Holy Sh*T!!" Not good. Oh and the cord was still slightly plugged in. Ring Stephanie. "I think I almost just killed myself. What do I do now?" Adam walked me through checking the electrical panel, finding out that I had tripped the breaker and "yea, maybe you should wait till your dad gets there." Umm hello, I was doing it on my own because I didn't want to get in trouble for buying the wrong washer. (And yes, at 23, I'm still scared of getting in trouble with my parents.) Whelp. Since the power to the outlet was off, I removed the cord and stayed far, far away from my washer for a few hours.
Stephanie Pappas (a good friend that I met on staff in Greece last summer) flew in late afternoon. She's here for a week and a half!!!
Did I mention how awesome my family is? My aunt Diane (who lives 3 blocks away!) came over with Arnie, Maggie, John, Erin and Sweet Baby J! to see the house that night. Did I also mention that Arnie and John love to fix things? Lucky for me-they do. As soon as I mentioned my little electrical escapade that morning, the guys headed straight to the garage. Oh and they didn't leave till they had fixed my washer AND dryer! Payment in a few beers? Done! Thanks guys! You actually may have just saved my life :)
No comments:
Post a Comment